If you sustained only very minor injuries in your accident and made a full and rapid recovery after only one or two medical treatments it would be entirely appropriate for you to handle your compensation claim yourself without professional assistance. In fact, it is very doubtful that any experienced personal injury attorney would be willing to accept such a case. If, however, your injuries were substantial, requiring multiple medical treatments, and if it took you more than six weeks to recover, it would certainly be prudent for you to consider having an experienced personal injury attorney such as Christopher Landis handle the compensation claim on your behalf.
Please consider the following benefits and advantages of retaining Landis Law Firm to handle your personal injury claim compared to the alternative of representing yourself.
- Christopher Landis is very familiar with the laws and procedures that affect your particular claim, both those that affect it in positive ways and those that affect it in negative ways. Many people make a huge mistake in assuming that they have a “slam-dunk case” which is so simple that they can easily handle it on their own. But, they are invariably only thinking about one single issue, namely the liability issue. For example, even though your car may have been rear-ended you most probably don’t have a slam dunk case. Why? Because you would most likely be failing to give appropriate attention to several other crucially important issues, including “causation” of your injuries and the nature and extent of your general and economic damages, not to mention the difficulty of proving those damages with legally admissible evidence. The true slam dunk case is actually extremely rare. In fact, it can only occur where your damages were indisputably caused by the accident and your provable damages are clearly in excess of the applicable insurance policy limits. If your damages are even arguably less than the policy limits, or if there is any other plausible explanation for your claimed injuries besides the subject accident, the insurance adjuster is surely going to utilize every trick in the book to short-change you on the compensation you deserve.
- Christopher Landis understands what evidence needs to be gathered for potential future use and he acts to preserve and utilize that evidence in the most effective manner. Depending on the kind of case that is involved he may hire an accident reconstruction expert to photograph and evaluate the accident scene, before the liable party has a chance to alter or destroy whatever mechanism or instrumentality caused your injury. In a recent dog bite case where the owner of the dog falsely denied his dog was involved, attorney Christopher Landis sent the T-shirt that the dog had sunk its teeth into to a DNA lab. He then got a court order compelling the dog’s owner to submit a saliva sample to Animal Control which was then forwarded to the lab. The subsequent DNA lab test proved conclusively that the dog’s owner was lying when he claimed his dog was locked up the entire day of the attack and the client was then able to obtain very substantial compensation for her injuries.
- Claimants who attempt to represent themselves without an attorney almost always make serious errors which damage their claims, sometimes to a severe extent. Attorney Christopher Landis can protect you from damaging your case by avoiding the mistakes that unrepresented claimants typically make, or by warning you about them. While there are literally dozens of potential mistakes, some of the most common ones include, failing to preserve important evidence, having a substantial delay in getting your first medical treatment, personally meeting with the adjuster regarding your property claim (Note: the property adjuster will be surreptitiously observing your body language for signs of injury), going to the wrong types of doctors, having a large gap or multiple smaller gaps in your treatments, having “no-shows” appear in your treatment record, telling your doctors that you intend to pursue a legal claim, stopping your treatment prior to the full resolution of your symptoms, failing to get an MRI for certain serious soft-tissue injuries such as a herniated disc or a rotator cuff tear, giving a signed general records authorization to the adjuster, allowing the adjuster to take your recorded statement, prematurely signing a Release, overlooking the six month statutory deadline for giving governmental entities notice of a claim and the biggest error of all, missing the statute of limitations.
- Based upon his past experiences over many years in the handling of thousands of cases Christopher Landis can realistically estimate the value of your claim and is able to project how the value might increase or decrease under certain scenarios including, for example, getting further treatment or an MRI. Knowing the realistic value of a claim is of crucial importance while negotiating with the insurance adjuster. Claimants who try to do the negotiating on their own without such knowledge are doing something akin to “shooting in the dark”.
- Christopher Landis can guide you through the important process of selecting the right kind of doctor to treat your particular accident-related injuries. Also, if you happen to lack health insurance he can probably get you treatment (or even an MRI) provided on a lien basis. Moreover, getting treated on a lien basis is only possible where you have an attorney because it is the attorney’s written promise to abide by the lien agreement which makes it secure enough from the perspective of your health care professional that he or she is willing to provide services to you on a credit basis.
- Christopher Landis knows what to say and what not to say to insurance adjusters and knows all of their underhanded tricks. Also, if the adjuster makes a false statement about the law or about what juries deem to be the most important factors affecting the value of your case your attorney has the training and experience to be able to instantly refute what the adjuster is incorrectly claiming.
- Christopher Landis is an extremely experienced negotiator. He knows that using demands that are either too low or too high invariably produces poor outcomes. Having successfully negotiated literally thousands of personal injury settlements he has the experience and skill to be able to identify the best demand figure to use in each negotiating cycle, thereby greatly enhancing your prospects for the best possible outcome.
- Since the adjuster will see that you have Landis Law Firm on your side the adjuster knows it would be pointless to try to get away with making “low ball” settlement offers. Also, because the adjuster knows your attorney can immediately file a lawsuit to respond to an unreasonably low offer the adjuster has a strong incentive to negotiate in good faith.
- Landis Law Firm can often succeed in getting your unpaid treatment liens substantially reduced and sometimes even waived. This can put substantially more money into your pocket.
- Landis Law Firm relieves you from the stress and time-consuming effort of processing the extensive paperwork that is usually required. Moreover, Landis Law Firm can greatly expedite your settlement, compared to what you could do on your own, by efficiently identifying, obtaining and providing to the insurance adjuster all the required paperwork.